Saturday, August 11, 2012

Its Been a Good Day!

Typical late summer hedgerow flowers. Foxgloves almost finished now.

Foxgloves at Alwinton

Autumn wont be far away. But I cant help thinking, that perhaps I have`nt done as much riding as I have done in the past?  When I look back on this year, where will it stand in the best riding years of my life? I cant help but think, that its been poor. I know that due to the times I have had the horses shod. I keep a record for each horse, and this year Gracie`s hooves have only been shod  4 times, so far,  and thats when the shoes are very loose or worn through.

Last year Gracie went through  6 sets by this time of the year. So based on that, it hasnt been a busy time. However, more training has been done, learning has been achieved,  Sunny is still doing very well, and Gracie has become very soft, the change lately has been dramatic. Her lateral flexion has really improved, as has her vertical.  To top that off, we have become very good at opening gates! Some time ago, we had a bad fall at a metal gate, when the spring loaded locking bolt, shot out and hit Gracie in the ribs, just in front of the cinch, she got a shock, stepped back,the bolt got caught in the cinch, up went Gracie, and over on top of me! Luckily I was in a ditch, and she was laying across the top, and I was able to scramble out!  But that was then, this is now. We have had a good year for learning.

cheviots 2011 025 

I love this damn horse!………..I`m not one for kissy-wissy-cuddly rubbish,  but there are times she deserves one,  so now  there are a few months left for some rides, depending on the weather, and only yesterday, did I hear geese flying in from the North! God help us!  That`s early, too early!   I might have rode less miles, but we have gained a lot this year, so no complaints from this ol` man.

6 comments:

  1. That's a great picture! And I know what you mean. Sometimes you just have to say it. (Lovin' the horse).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great times it sounds like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were, good rides, more like a team.

      Delete
  3. Post from Crystal: Sometimes its the quality more so than the quantity that counts. And it sounds like a lot of quality rides were had this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks crystal, thats very true as I`m finding out.

      Delete